Article on Alexander's Tomb in BBC Focus Magazine (Feb 07)

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Article on Alexander's Tomb in BBC Focus Magazine (Feb 07)

Post by Taphoi »

There is a 6-page article on Alexander's tomb in the February 2007 edition of BBC Focus magazine. It should be available from today in most larger UK Newsagents. Unfortunately their website at www.focusmag.co.uk only seems to have a two sentence summary. However, I hope to put a few more details onto the News page of my website at www.alexanderstomb.com soon for the benefit of Pothosians overseas.

The article seems fairly balanced and includes short interviews with (and other quotes from) both myself and Saunders.

Best wishes,

Andrew
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Andrew Digress.

Under our noses all the Time. If that leans towards my theory under our noses meaning St Marks Tomb. And if so is this awakening apetite for just maybe a little examination into this theory?

Are the bigger minds out there just maybe thinking. Its the best chance we really have and at least there is something positive to look at and start from. At the very least put a cross through the box. Although gut feeling says to me he is indeed under our very noses.

Kenny
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Just If the Body of St Mark turned out to be Alexander?

What would happen to the Body. No doubt the Greeks wouls want it even though it Should go to the Museum at Vergina. Would the Venecians keep it as the British Museum has kept the Marbles. Maybe Alexandria would have a claim.

Where do porthonians feel the Mortal Remains of Alexander should be laid to rest.

Kenny
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

jasonxx wrote:Just If the Body of St Mark turned out to be Alexander? What would happen to the Body.
I would believe it should be properly studied and recorded. There is currently no independent record of what is actually there. If any kind of disaster were to befall the Basilica di San Marco, then the history of those remains would be forever lost.

Afterwards, it should obviously stay in Venice. Nobody else has a sensible claim on it in law or otherwise. It has been there for nearly 12 centuries. If the Venetians have looked after it for so long and kept it so grandly, then it is they who should mainly benefit from the huge tourist interest that would be stimulated, should it turn out to be Alexander.

Cordially,

Andrew
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Andrew

Cordially your right. Indeed it should stay there as it has as you say been looked after. And as you say no one has real claim. Or realistically only Halkidiki or Macedonia would have. Athens or Greece has no claim as Alexander was not from southern Greece.

Of late there has been debate for a BBC licence fee hike. Maybe for once they would invest some of its money and influence in a project with relevence to most European history. Instead of sill Cooking , Phone in dance shows and reality rubbish.

As you say if a disater does happen and its lost forever then what a shame. Whilst its there its still worth a close look. Maybe it would be the archiological find of maybe all time.

Cordially

Kenny
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Anything more on the Item Mentioned?
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

:?: :?: :?:
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Andrew Hail

I cant seem to findthe magazine in any shops.
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

I've seen it in Borders, WH Smiths and Asda in Bristol :!: :? :?:

Are you looking on the right shelves? It's a popular science magazine and should be near New Scientist.

Best wishes,

Andrew
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Ta Very Much. What do you think of it.

ATB
Beatriki
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Beatriki »

Hi there Andrew,

Congratulations for all your studies. You sure inspire in us the belief that we shouldn't stop dreaming one day we will find Alexander's body. Keep the investigation if you can ;) Although I think Alexander's tomb may be lost somewhere down the streets of Alexandria.

Kisses, Beatriki
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Why assume Alexander is still in Alexandria. If the stories are correct his body was destroyed. Besides if it were in Alexandria by now it would have been found. I would wager Napoleons boys did a good bit of looking. I think Napoleon would have loved to have found it.
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

I would say Alexanders body to famous to be hidden and kept a secret in Alexandria. If its there why no great efforts by Egypt to find it. As the Article in the Magazine his body just may have been under our noses all the time.
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

:?: :) 8)
Beatriki
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Beatriki »

jasonxx wrote:Why assume Alexander is still in Alexandria. If the stories are correct his body was destroyed. Besides if it were in Alexandria by now it would have been found. I would wager Napoleons boys did a good bit of looking. I think Napoleon would have loved to have found it.
It's not that easy. Philip's tomb was found only recently and in a predictable location. If you don't know exactly where he is, the search becomes very difficult.

I think anyone of us would have the joy of his/her life if his body is to be found. I still believe it will be found someday, maybe not entirely, but... :) I refuse to think Alexander is lost forever :cry:

Kisses, Beatriki