The eye

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

dean
Hetairos (companion)

The eye

Post by dean »

Hello,

The eye painted on "many a" boat around the stern is a very popular image and I was curious if this tradition came from anywhere in particular, also if it was a primitive and original form of "figurehead"
I wonder if the boats that Alexander took from Greece to Asia Minor carried such an image? (I know I could "google" this one but I thought it more interesting to discuss it here) :wink:

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
sikander
Somatophylax

Eyes

Post by sikander »

Greetings Dean,

Good topic. The eye is an important symbol throughout the ancient world.. The eye in many cultures represented the sun, which in turn represented the eye of the God, from Ahura Mazda to Horus (also Ma'at); if I recall correctly, in Egypt a son could give eye talismans in exchange for sacrifices he owed his father's spirit. Eyes as protection from the evil eye were and are, a common decoration. You will find the eye as a protective device even now in Turkish, Greek, Egytian, Indian, Jewish, Arabic and Asian arts.

It is likely that the eye was painted on ships to serve a two-fold purpose: to give the protecting god of the ship an eye with which to "see ahead' , thus bringing luck to those aboard, and as an apotropaic talisman to ensure no evil could be warded against the ship, as the eye could refract or refract a malicious gaze.

The importance of eyes can also be found in the myth of Argos Panoptes, of the hundred eyes and in existing folklore of the "evil eye" throughout the region.

Personally, I think it would also be nice to think the painted eyes were also symbolically offering new eyes to the Graiai in the sea...... well, you might as well cover all bases (laughing)

Regards,
Sikander
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hello,

Yes the "eye" seen on the boats seemed to be similar to the Egyptian heiroglyphic the "eye" of Horus.
From what I can gather the eye, as you also say, was used as a protective device to save the crew from the "fates"- to "see" and steer a clear way through.

As you say the eye in mythology has had its importance, not to forget the cyclops, from Greek mythology- the name apparently means "wheel- eyed" or round according to good ole' Wikipedia.

Well,
best regards, and excuse the pun- "see" you soon!!! :wink:
Dean
carpe diem