Impressions II - "Alexander the Great": a DVD.

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Paralus
Chiliarch

Impressions II - "Alexander the Great": a DVD.

Post by Paralus »

Unfortunately most of the places that we visited in Greece were not Alexander specific. For example, the Peleponnesus – Mycenae, Argos, Acrocorinth, Arcadia and Olympia – do not bring to mind the conqueror. Same for Athens and Delphi, unless one attempts to visualise the manhandling of the Pythia.

In the end we did not make it to Pella and Vergina in Macedonia, making it only as far north as Meteora. With two days left and an airport rendezvous on the afternoon of the second, we chose not to trust our air tickets to what pass for Greek drivers in a mad dash on the last day. A good move too as it turned out. Whilst this is not the place for a discussion on Greek "drivers", I'm sure Efstathios will confirm that Greek roads (more the drivers that use them) resemble my ten year old son's "Need for Speed" computer game on steroids. No joke.

I compensated by purchasing a DVD called "Alexander the Great", a "documentary" by one Paul Pissanos which came with a disc on the Pella museum. I am tempted to point out that a rather large clue to the Alexander DVD's documentary quality is suggested by the fellow's surname. Oh, I may have just done that. Oops.

That this is called a documentary – in my opinion – defies the definition. Its focus is, in its words, the two defining influences in Alexander's life: Olympias and Aristotle. Apparently, Olympias – the person "Alexander adored" – instilled in the young conqueror a deep religiosity and respect for all religions – whatever they were. Aristotle took the deep sense of religious purpose and moulded it into a life philosophy of seeking the "soul" and meaning in life. Such meaning was to found in the betterment of citizens of a state.

What became of his lifelong relationship with Hephaestion? Not mentioned. His father, Philip? A glancing mention.
"Alexander did not become "great" for his conquests, but for their "essence". Behind every great victory, Alexander could see its essence and this is what transformed the conqueror into a visionary and the defeated into beneficiaries"
Oh dear me. If the titles did not inform me otherwise, I'd have though Tarn had come back from the grave to write the commentary. It waxes lyrical to explain how this visionary, civilising beneficence was extended to Bactria and Afghanistan. Pray tell, why did they resist so fiercely?

There is more. But maybe it’s best if one views the trailer? Be advised that this is a much toned down short though. For instance:
With a strong belief in Greek education, the incomparable Greek language, art, philosophy, poetry, architecture, religion…he made it the decisive purpose of his life to conquer a world immersed in superstition, suffering and spiritual deficiency. As he entered each conquered territory, he'd bring the light of Greek civilisation, of eternal Greek wisdom, art and education.
Yes. Well what of that world immersed in "superstition"? There is a constant theme throughout of the barbaric Persians. For example:
The Persian hordes, who for centuries had plagued the world – especially Greece – despoiling temples, sacred sites etc….had finally been defeated.
This accompanied by vision of a sufficiently vicious, uncivilised looking Iranian despot type caricature. In contrast we have the civilising conqueror who, after the intense and near-run battle of Issus, shows how a well educated and respectful Greek conqueror behaves. Having told Sisygambis not to be concerned about her fate because "Greeks have boundless respect for their prisoners of war" – possibly not the last thing the Thebans, the Greeks at the Granicus or the Tyreans, to name a few, experienced – he goes on to respect Statiera's wish to marry a Persian noble, in the process "forgetting that he is the conqueror; forgetting the rights of the conqueror" and "stifling his own erotic passion for her in the manner of a divinely inspired military leader".

I could go on but I suspect my impression is clear. I'd only ask: is this typical of the view taught in Greece or is this - as it appears to me - an aberration?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Hello Paralus.

What is tought in Greek history school books about Alexander is somewhat plain. It is the events, with no special commentary. It is up to the teacher if he wants to further discuss about some of these events, and Alexander. Some do , some others dont. Of these teachers who do, some give a realistic approach, some others a more romantic one, and others are somewhere in the middle.

Heh, when i read the description that you gave of the documentary i just couldnt stop laughing. If you were given a bag of different documentaries and were told to put your hand into the bag and pick one, you would certainly pick the one with Alexander's illumination and hellenization campaign and all.

I wanted to comment on this :

Greeks have boundless respect for their prisoners of war" – possibly not the last thing the Thebans, the Greeks at the Granicus or the Tyreans, to name a few, experienced
The treatment that these people had, and i mean the prisoners, was the typical for the period. They were sold as slaves. At least women and children. Lets not remember what the Persians did in some occasions. So in that light, Alexander was indeed far more civilized. Ever wondered what would Darius do in Tyr if he was in Alexander's place?

Alexander surely brought the Greek herritage with him wherever he went. I tend to agree with Plutarch, he brought civilization to some people, while also preserving the one they already had. Trying to change some "barbaric" customs, like teaching people not to kill the old, not to engage in sexual relationships inside the family, and other stuff like that, was the way to go.And also when building new cities, with a blend of Greek and local architecture.

Lets not concentrate in a few isolated events. They are not the rule.

Of course as already being said, the truth is maybe somewhere in the middle.

Hey, i feel sorry that you didnt have the chance to go to Vergina, but surely you got to see some nice places. Like Delphoi and Epidaurus. At least did you get inside the museums? Like in Olympia?
Yauna

Post by Yauna »

In the end we did not make it to Pella and Vergina in Macedonia, making it only as far north as Meteora.
Sorry to hear that. I´ve been in Hellas three times and enjoyed the most "Macedonia". Pella, Vergina, Chalkidiki, Dion ..... oh dear I was in front of Philippus bones in Saloniki and his golden boxes with the Argead star (maybe some will say this is not Philippus, I don´t mind, ¡let me dream of it!).

Regards
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Yauna wrote:...oh dear I was in front of Philippus bones in Saloniki and his golden boxes with the Argead star (maybe some will say this is not Philippus, I don´t mind, ¡let me dream of it!).
I'd have killed to see it....just not my family! Trusting the family and the airline tickets to a drive of some five hundred over kilometres given the vagaries of Greek roads and the users thereof (dare I say "drivers"), was a gamble too far.

I would like to be convinced they are Philip's. I would love to have seen the ceremonial armour that I am yet to be convinced was his. Twas not to be. I, like you, may have left a "believer".

Next time...
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu