Monkeys in India

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Monkeys in India

Post by athenas owl »

:oops:

At the risk of making a fool of myself, did I imagine that one of the ancient sources mentioned that the Macedonians didn't realise what the monkeys were until Hephaistion pointed out that they were animals? I can't find it and it is driving me nuts. Have I mixed fiction with "history"? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

This is Strabo 15.1.29:

"In the forest before mentioned it is said there is a vast number of monkeys, and as large as they are numerous. On one occasion the Macedonians, seeing a body of them standing in array opposite to them, on some bare eminences, (for this animal is not less intelligent than the elephant,) and presenting the appearance of an army, prepared to attack them as real enemies, but being informed by Taxiles, who was then with the king, of the real fact, they desisted."

It is probably from Onesicritus. There is something similar in Fragment 19 of Cleitarchus (Aelian NA 17.25). I don't think Hephaistion is named in this context in the sources.

Best wishes,

Andrew
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Thank you! I think I was mixing fiction in with the sources. This helps me very much. I have got to get Strabo I can see.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

athenas owl wrote:Thank you! I think I was mixing fiction in with the sources. This helps me very much. I have got to get Strabo I can see.
Susan has the Strabo excerpts that relate to Alexander on her Alexander Sources site. We used an old translation (1856) because of copyright restrictions, but it can't be too bad because I see Taphoi quoted from the same one. :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor