Impressions III: Propaganda.

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Paralus
Chiliarch

Impressions III: Propaganda.

Post by Paralus »

One of those wonderous topics in the ancient world is the art and use of propaganda. All states made use o fit as did many individuals. Philip II was rather a master of it as he amply demonstrated during the "Sacred War" when, at Crocus Field, his soldiers wore the luarel wreath, indicating their championing of the god Apollo, as they proceeded to drown all prisoners taken after victory and inevitable surrender.

This is not, of course, to suggest that Philip was not religious. Simply that the congruence of religion and the removal of a dangerous enemy (to whom he had suffered an uncharacteristic reverse in the field) was likely too good to pass up.

In a world minus television and newspapers, one had to advertise oneself wherever that might be feasible. The comfortable bed-clothes of panhellenism and patriotic revenge served nicely to warm over their colder occupant: Macedonian imperialism. But, how to advertise oneself?

As today - nothing changes - in ancient times the Olympic games were about politics, cheats, money and, just to keep the interest up, athletic competition. After his crushing victory over the Greeks at Chaeronea in 338, Philip thought it wise to buy some ancient air-time. He ercted the "Philippeion" at the sanctuary of Olympia. It remains in the sanctuary today...

As can be seen, it will have made a rather impressive sight when completed by Alexander. Even more so with the full size statues of the royal family within.

It was a lesson not lost on the Diodachoi and their successors. Over the years following Alexander's death, they too donated gymnasia and such - the ruined remains of which are still to be seen. And not only to Olympia. Delphi and Athens benefited and Thebes found itself rebuilt.

Possibly one of the best, though, was the marvellously restored Stoa of Attaus in Athens:

Can't think of better way to advertise that, far from being an "Oriental despot", Attalus was, in fact, a highly cultured individual with the good of Athens in his heart.

Good a place as any to buy TV time too.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Impressions III: Propaganda.

Post by amyntoros »

Paralus wrote:As today - nothing changes - in ancient times the Olympic games were about politics, cheats, money and, just to keep the interest up, athletic competition.

Hmm, just a tad heavy on the cynicism methinks (she said with typical British understatement). The games were traditionally all about the athletic events in honor of the gods, and victors were lauded, showered with gifts, and often achieved great fame. Even the dirt, oil, and sweat scraped off their bodies was bottled and prized by those who bought it. Winning was everything, not just for the athlete but for the city or country from which they hailed. Yes, there’s evidence of political machinations and propaganda on occasion; however, I wouldn't say that politics were consistently more important than the games themselves. Just because Philip and Alexander and a couple of others thought so doesn't mean it was always that way. :wink: Better have some statistics to hand if you’re going to disagree with me (of course you are) because there were a great many Olympiads. :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Impressions III: Propaganda.

Post by Paralus »

amyntoros wrote:Hmm, just a tad heavy on the cynicism methinks (she said with typical British understatement).
Yes and no. One needs to be there. The observation that in 2,700 years nothing changes, although elaborated – not to say slightly exaggerated – on by the “cheats, money, politics” line, is true and conceived more in the tone of irony. As with human nature: there is precious little new under an Arcadian sun. This was a personal feeling having visited the Museum and spent some two hours walking the archaeological site.

Just on a “theatrical” aside, the photo below shows Hera’s Altar. To the left is the cauldron that housed the sacrificial flame. Today’s “Olympic flame”.

amyntoros wrote: Winning was everything, not just for the athlete but for the city or country from which they hailed.
Well indeed. Everything. Alkibiades was fond of pointing out how he had spent a fortune winning Olympic glory for Athens, indeed he did so – if I recall – during the rancorous debates over his personal imperial folly to Sicily.
amyntoros wrote:Yes, there’s evidence of political machinations and propaganda on occasion; however, I wouldn't say that politics were consistently more important than the games themselves.
No, not consistently. But, as the pre-eminent games of Greece, the Olympics were the palette, par excellence, for state or self promotion.

Alexander I ensured that he would be able to compete so as to be seen as “Greek”. Interesting that only the Macedonian monarch was so recognised – the “Macedones” counted for the Greek equivalent of slaves. Philip II and many others coined with their Olympic victories (or references to such) stamped on one side. Alexander had his Godhead pronounced at Olympia and the exiles decree (if I remember correctly). Certainly Flamininus pronounced that he’d “liberated the Greeks from Macedonian tyranny” at Olympia in 196 whilst diligently liberating Greek art and treasures from those self same Greeks onto his galleys at Corinth.

The Olympics – as much as Delphi – was the place to parade oneself or State.

And, yes, there were cheats in ancient times. For the exact reasons you nominate in your post. The Hellenodikai ( the ten officials from Elis charged with administering each Olympiad) enforced the rules and supervised the athletes (as well as much more), including punishing the cheats. They were handled rather better than today’s I might add. The individual – or state – was fined if the charge was proven. This money was used to build statues (to the Gods) and to carry out similar works. The bases of these statues then had the cheats’ names carved upon them along with their crime and state. Remembered in perpetuity. Some of those bases are extant today. Note that they line the entranceway to the stadium.

Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Actually some things changed to the better and some others not. For example, there were certain sports, such as pankration where a contenstant could die. It was a cruel sport, and i believe everyone agrees that the purpose of syn-agonismos, competition in it's good form, is not for athletes to kill eachother.

Every military act stopped during the Olympic Games. Today this doesnt always apply. Efforts are being made to keep the Olympic Games protected from the political scene. This is not easy. The problem with the Games today is mainly that they have fallen prey to the multinational companies that offer sponsorships, but at the same time use the Games as a big advertising campaign.

In the ancient times things were simpler. Most stuff didnt have labels. And maybe outside Olympia you could find some people trying to sell products, and food, but that's about it. But surely as Michael said, the Games were also used for political reasons. Although i dont know if whoever used them did it for advertising, or just because it was kind of a "must" to be a King or General and also having a gold medal at the Olympics. Surely it was good for a leader or a military person to have a gold medal at a sport, so that this would further prove their worth. And it was about one's image.

The ancient Greeks were very strict in matters of cheating. And most people that won in the Olympic Games, even Kings, were probably worth it. Unless it was proven otherwise and as Michael said, the cheaters even had a statue there. That changed. Especially after the Romans came, the Games became a ridicule. It was a Roman Emperor, i dont rmember who, who wanted to take part in the Games. They delayed the Games for 2 years until he decided to drop by, and then they gave him a gold medal even though he failed at the sport he chose.

But it wasnt always like this. As we go back , the Games were better and purer. In comparison with today, some things are indeed the same, but some others have changed.To the better or not.
alejandro
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by alejandro »

Hi guys,

Nice topic.

I think there is a distinction to make here regarding the question of whether politics were more or less important than the games themselves. I believe the answer depends on who we consider to be the "relevant group".

That is, I would side with Amyntoros in that the games were more important than politics for the general public. But I would side with Paralus in that politics were more important than the games for the politicians. Of course, the latter is a consequence of the former: since the games were so attractive for the populace, it was the optimal stage to show up and advertise oneself. And the games in Olympia were the best of all (sort of Davos-meets-Academy-Awards 8) ).

In that sense, nothing changed in 2,000+ years: politicians continue to attract simple people's support by trying to satisfy their simple needs (eg, games) while using that for their own benefits (eg, backstage politics and on-stage demagogy). The Romans summarized it quite well: Bread and Circus (well, at least that is the Spanish translation, don't know if it is different in English).

My two-cent contribution anyway.

All the best,
Alejandro