Oracles Bought and Bullied.

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

jasonxx

Oracles Bought and Bullied.

Post by jasonxx »

I recall reading the incident,where Alexander dragged an Oracle out to give him a prophecy. Im not sure where its written but Im sure I have. Following watching the 300. I thought a little about the Oracles. It seems that the readers of Aracles were a propoganda or a way of promoting your own deeds.

In the movie, We see Leonidas consulting the Oracles and not getting the message he wanted as the Oracle and the priests were bought and bullied by the Persians.

It may seem Alexander took the gods seriously but not the Oracle it only served him as a sponsour tool. I recall befor Asia he wanted a Prophecy at Delphi where he was told the Oracle was on some king of holiday. Having none of it didnt he pull the girl. Out and in no sertian cercumstances told the girl what he wanted to hear. And got told that what pleased him.

Bearing this in mind I do feel he had Oracles and soothsayers and they did actually tell him what he needed to hear. Bearing that in mind I just wonder what made him take Siwah So seriously. At a guess was it to bolster his claims for the whole of Asia. I mean how handy is it for his Asians to hear there Oracle had proclaimed him a god. remembering that the easterners readily believed that men could indeed be gods. Is this another insight into the devious clever cunning mind of Alexander. As the saying goes he had everything just about tagged.

Kenny
rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rocktupac »

Definitely oracles have been used politically as propaganda by great leaders and cunning minds in the past. Despite his actual beliefs, what Alexander did at Delphi and at Siwah was great for his image. He used the readings as justification for his invasion of Persia and his destiny to conquer.

There have been instances with Roman emperors whose personal priests or soothsayers advised them to do things in their interests, rather than what was the right thing to do. In other words, emperors (and even kings) have been persuaded to make decisions based on the influence from religious channels.