A matter of logistics

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Bobg

A matter of logistics

Post by Bobg »

ATG's journey through the known world is a series of loops and much backtracking. He even crossed his own path a few times from Bactra. Xerxes, on the other hand, seemed to have a plan of conquest and put together a supply chain that is still a marvel to this day. I have not read much on how ATG planned to feed and supply his army on his journey of conquest. He must have had some sort of plan when starting out or is it possible that his ambitions at first were more scaled to a smaller conquest within limits to what supplies and food he could rely on.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Comprehensive answers to your questions can be found in a book (which has just been mentioned on another thread) - Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army by Donald W. Engels. As one of the reviewers on Amazon says, it is "stuffed full of data." :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Bobg

Post by Bobg »

Thank you. seems my question was timely.
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

I just reread Engel's book yesterday. Fantastic work and in so few pages.

But I have a question. Does anyone know where Hammond rebuts Engels' view that Alexander didn't use wagons? My brain's got this nasty habit of whispering some curt little tidbit like that and then growing petulantly silent as to the source.

edit: Oh fiddlesticks, I found it, or that cruel JSTOR tease of it anyway.

* Alexander the Great and the Logistics of the Macedonian Army by D. W. Engels

Author(s) of Review: N. G. L. Hammond
The Journal of Hellenic Studies, Vol. 100, Centennary Issue (1980), pp. 256-257
doi:10.2307/630811
This article consists of 2 page(s).

Can anyone tell me what Hammond's argument was? :D