My trip to Ecbatana to find Alexander's Tomb

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Cyrus Shahmiri
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

My trip to Ecbatana to find Alexander's Tomb

Post by Cyrus Shahmiri »

http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.a ... 278#446278

As you know Ecbatana was one of the capitals of Alexander's empire where Parmenion, Hephaestion and some other of his generals died.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: My trip to Ecbatana to find Alexander's Tomb

Post by marcus »

Cyrus Shahmiri wrote:http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.a ... 278#446278

As you know Ecbatana was one of the capitals of Alexander's empire where Parmenion, Hephaestion and some other of his generals died.
This helped to make me very excited, Cyrus, because I will be in Hamedan in about 10 days' time. Obviously I knew about the Lion - but is there much more of ancient Ecbatana to be seen in the city?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Cyrus Shahmiri

Post by Cyrus Shahmiri »

Yes, there are several ancient places in Hamedan such as Hegmatana and Nushijan, in Hegmatana you can walk across a wooden bridge (not very safe!! :wink: ) and watch the ancient city of Ecbatana.

Some Pics:

marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Cyrus Shahmiri wrote:Yes, there are several ancient places in Hamedan such as Hegmatana and Nushijan, in Hegmatana you can walk across a wooden bridge (not very safe!! :wink: ) and watch the ancient city of Ecbatana.

Some Pics:
Thanks, Cyrus. I think we're in Hamedan for a full day, and we have various things that are definitely on the itinerary. But I hope we will get a chance to see some of the ancient remains - I shall badger our guide until we do, you can be sure of that! :D

I am, of course, most looking forward to getting down to Shiraz - we will do Persepolis and Pasargadae!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

Great Photos

Post by jan »

Thanks, Cyrus, for transporting us to Ecbatana now. I really enjoyed the photos, especially of the wooden bridge. Is that handsome fellow you? :D
Cyrus Shahmiri

Re: Great Photos

Post by Cyrus Shahmiri »

marcus wrote: Thanks, Cyrus. I think we're in Hamedan for a full day, and we have various things that are definitely on the itinerary. But I hope we will get a chance to see some of the ancient remains - I shall badger our guide until we do, you can be sure of that! :D

I am, of course, most looking forward to getting down to Shiraz - we will do Persepolis and Pasargadae!

ATB
Great, but if you want to visit some ancient Greek monuments too, you need to go to the west of Hamedan, for example in the northwest of Hamedan there is an ancient cave which is called "Hercules Cave Temple", it is said Parmenion used it as a temple during his stay at Ecbatana.

There is a tablet written in Greek above the portal of a room in the third floor which reads “therein resides Hercules and no evil can penetrate it.”

jan wrote:Thanks, Cyrus, for transporting us to Ecbatana now. I really enjoyed the photos, especially of the wooden bridge. Is that handsome fellow you? :D
You are welcome, yes that is me in the second pic! :twisted:
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Very nice. Marcus enjoy your trip :)
jan
Strategos (general)

No evil can penetrate it...

Post by jan »

8) that is simply beautiful photography and I love the story of Parmenio using this site. Thanks for sharing this and warning us that only the athletic and healthy should dare try to make this trip. It looks very daunting to me. Good luck, Marcus! and special thanks, Cyrus!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Efstathios wrote:Very nice. Marcus enjoy your trip :)
Thanks, Efstathios.

I'm actually at Heathrow at this moment, waiting for my flight to Tehran - I arrive at 2.30 tomorrow morning.

I will return with tales of wonder ... :D

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK