Re: More on Oliver Stone

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

The article link is:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 92,00.html but you may need to register first.Susan
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

First day back at work....on the skive. Having said that, once I had posted the first bit, and it was incomplete, I couldn't really stop!Linda
susan
Somatophylax

What if Alexander is in the audience?

Post by susan »

I can't get out of my head a private viewing of the film, Alexander and Persian friends in the front row, the Companions in the back row, and them either falling around with laughter or throwing things at the screen. Remember the Kleitos episode started from a play - they were a bit touchy about self-image then and 2300 years of pondering matters in the grave won't help.I suspect an awful lot of film-time may be devoted to conspiracy ( who actually concentrated on all of JFK ??) and sex ( about as relevant as whether Alexander was left-handed or right-handed). Actually I think the film-script will fall into the 'Too difficult' box.But the pictures may be lovely... Susan
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: What if Alexander is in the audience?

Post by marcus »

Well, Susan, my interpretation of the Lane Fox article was that Stone will spend quite a lot of time on the conspiracy theory... and that he won't shy away from the sexuality issue.Still, it's got to be better than a film treatment of Manfredi, surely?All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

There should have been a Carry On Alexander film - Sid James as Alexander, Barbara Windsor as Roxane, Charles Hawtrey as Callisthenes spring to mind. Hattie Jacques as Olympias ?Susan
susan
Somatophylax

Kenneth Williams as Hephaestion

Post by susan »

Kenneth Williams would be just right for Hephaestion - what about Joan Sims as Barsine ? Susan
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Kenneth Williams as Hephaestion

Post by marcus »

Excellent idea, Susan. I don't know why they never thought of it - after all, they did Carry On Cleo as a skit on the Burton/Taylor Cleopatra film.Bernard Bresslaw could have been Darius. Although I think they would have got one of their prettier women to be Barsine - Valerie Leon, perhaps. But Charles Hawtrey as Callisthenes is an inspired choice :-)Shame so many of the Carry On actors are dead - it would have been an excellent antidote to Stone, Luhrmann et al!One of my Christmas presents this year was a video of Carry on up the Khyber - one of my absolute favourites (particularly as another of my geeky obsessions is C19 British colonial history!)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

I think the dinner party at the embassy when it is under fire is about as perfect an image of the British Empire as you're likely to get. The films seemed to be shown continually over Christmas - we came back from a very high-church midnight mass to watch Carry On Cleo - rather odd TV scheduling but possibly more appropriate than Life of Brian.Susan
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by davej »

You can never have too much Monty Python. I love the Life of Brian , I had to sneak out to see it at the movies. Told my mum I was seeing Star wars or something.
Thalestris

Post by Thalestris »

Wonderfully stated, Susan!! I, too, can visualize the boisterous crew, laughing at the screen, kidding with each other, and throwing drinks at the screen!! Especially an explosive-tempered Alexander, roaring his anger at the portrayal of himself. Now, if the Amazon Queen Thalestris appears on screen, *I* will join that rowdy band of vivacious soldiers and throw my popcorn at the screen, too! To Hades with all the scripts!!!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Unless, of course, the portrayal of Alexander is very positive, in which case he would probably use his heaven-sent powers to resurrect Callisthenes and reward him for doing such a good propaganda job :-)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
susan
Somatophylax

Useful Housekeeping Tip

Post by susan »

Actually I've found a good incentive to house-cleaning is to imagine an imminent visit from Alexander and the Companions - treks over the Hindu Kush notwithstanding, I expect standards of tidiness and general presentation would have been high and so if the house is not hoovered and polished I would be destined to garrison a remote outpost in Central Asia. It's a bit different from Martha Stewart techniques but it works for me.Somehow I always imagine Hephaestion as one who would run his fingers over furniture looking for dust. Apparently this is what Mrs Thatcher did when she first became prime minister - she climbed on chairs to look at the top of framed paintings in the cabinet room to see if they had been dusted properly.As you see I have too much time on my hands at present.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Useful Housekeeping Tip

Post by marcus »

Perhaps I ought to start thinking along those lines.Actually, I think Alexander wouldn't notice, at first, anyway. Hephaestion would run his fingers over the surfaces and, if he found some dust, he'd go squealing to Alexander who would then send you off to remotest Sogdia... if he didn't run you through with a sarissa first.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Me

Post by Me »

Depending entirely on circumstances, Alexander would notice, not comment, but remember; or comment rather pointedly.
Depending entirely on circumstances,Heph would notice, and either coment under his breath or wait until later and make a rude comment; or not comment at all.
Regards,
Sikander
Thalestris

Post by Thalestris »

OK, I am quite inebriated from laughter, and must agree with the "run through with sarissa"; however, as long as Thalestris provided Alexander thirteen day's worth of proficient *intimacy*, and Hephaistion did not groan and complain to Alexander for the thirteen days away from his embrace, she would have made Alexander happy, thus he would care little about housekeeping while recovering from his virile excursion .