Alexander:Child of Dreams by Manfredi

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

jan
Strategos (general)

Alexander:Child of Dreams by Manfredi

Post by jan »

I am presently reading a very exciting fictional version of Alexander by Valerio Massimo Manfredi. Can anyone tell me about Manfredi? There is no author's background on the book, and I would like to know more about this wonderful author.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Re: Alexander:Child of Dreams by Manfredi

Post by ruthaki »

Sorry, except he's an Italian prof, I think. Frankly I tried a couple of times to read this book and couldn't get myself past about page 35. (there are two others, by the way).
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Jan,For some time now Nick has been looking for someone who likes Manfredi's books, so that we can have a more balanced judgement in the book review section.Perhaps you are "the one"... it will be interesting to hear your verdict once you have finished.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Carl

Post by Carl »

Here is a very brief bio of Manfredi:
http://www.panmacmillan.com/meettheauth ... horId=5170
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thank you for this bio. I really appreciate it since a recent article in Gente magazine confirms something I suspect. The article is about a church in Bologna which depicts scenes from the Divine Comedy. I really value this post, and am most grateful to you.
jan

Post by jan »

That is so interesting as I imagine that it is targeted for an audience of young people. It is a good book for children to read to get a preview glimpse of Alexander in a fictional setting. Most of the book is probably more Manfredi than Alexander but isn't that the case of most novels. Projecting one's own ideas onto an already developed and misunderstood character. I am reading a book by Paul Doherty also which is probably more to your liking. I have just begun but it is very thoughtful in portraying the kind of person who Darius III really is.When I finish I will write a book review of the trilogy.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

When I finish reading the entire trilogy I will be happy to write a review. I have just begun reading a book by Paul Doherty as well. Both Doherty's and Manfredi's are library books. Makes it convenient for me to read before I buy.
Thalestris-Alexandros

Post by Thalestris-Alexandros »

To write a novel about ATG, the author must fuse himself/herself to him, surrender his/her mind to become him, and realize that sacrifice will be costly, unless the author can live a dual life. As Alexander saw himself as Herakles+Achilles, an author writing a novel about ATG must see himself/herself as Alexander: see through his eyes, feel through his mind. Not easy, but possible.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hmmm, I wouldn't say it's targeted at children, although the language (probably the translator) might make it seem that way.Wait until you get the the scene of the burning of Persepolis in the second book, and you'll understand why it's most definitely and 'adult' book (well, he clearly felt he had to get some gratuitous sex in there somewhere - and it's a clear contender for the 'bad sex awards')All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK