EXCAVATION IN EGYPTl. LIMNEOS PAPAKOSTA

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

EXCAVATION IN EGYPTl. LIMNEOS PAPAKOSTA

Post by system1988 »

https://www.lifo.gr/culture/arxaiologia ... ai-sigoyra
I am sorry this is in greek , its about the excavation of Limneos Papakosta in the park of Salalah ,and i think we all know about it , any way if i send this , is about the little pieces of terracotta found in the excavation , did you remember (one of ) the order of Alexander after the death of Hephaestion ? ...that any commercial contract may be in the name of Hephaestion , here we have a piece of a commercial vase with his name on it ..' ΗΦΑΙΣΤΙΩΝΟΣ'''' anyway this is my opinion about this finding , i just saw it today
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Jeanne Reames
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: EXCAVATION IN EGYPTl. LIMNEOS PAPAKOSTA

Post by Jeanne Reames »

Very interesting! Thanks for this. Have bookmarked.
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha
287 ASH; 6001 Dodge Street
Omaha NE 68182
http://jeannereames.net/cv.html
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

I am glad you found it interesting .The excavation of Limneos-Papakosta is of great importance ,because regardless of whether or not she finds
'something' from the tomb of Alexander ,the excavation has reached the ground level of the Ptolemaic era , something -as she said- that is rarely done in other excavations in Egypt ,because at this level they usually find a lot of water and so the arcaeologues avoid it .
The handle of the vase clearly bears the name of Hephaestion ,but it could also be the name of the manufacturer .The piece of terracotta with
the face and the helmet is Athena .
In the text Mrs Limneos Papakosta speaks very highly of those historians who helped make the documentary ''The Making of a God ''

Well i may add here that Mrs Kottaridi has published an article (Academia ) about the real location and finding of the school of Alexander in Mieza (near the theater of Mieza) Its a big construction .The other was just a place dedicated to the nymfes .The article is in greek i am afraid , but there are very good photos
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Jeanne Reames
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Jeanne Reames »

Again, many thanks. And yes, when I was doing the cataloguing of epigraphical occurrences of all Hephais-/Haphe(i)s-based names, QUITE a number appeared on or related to pottery, which is not a great surprise, considering. I'd assume maker until we get more information. Same as the name in the Kasta Tomb. That monogram has gotta be a maker's mark, imo. It fits with the rest of what I've seen in the epigraphical record.

And yes, getting down to the base level at Alexandria is SO exciting. You're right that most people don't mess with it due to the water problem. I'm quite impressed with the very scientific approach she's been using with up-to-date techniques. I know they're expensive, so I hope the docudrama brings her some new, big investors. The rest of the world may like their gold, silver, and fancy names, but the real archaeologists and historians are more excited for some of the things that aren't shiny or famous. For instance, dating issues! The dating for early Hellenistic can be a wasps' nest, I know. (I'm not a Hellenistic historian, but I hear FAR too much from friends about the higher and lower datings, lol.)

So I wish her well, and look forward to new discoveries.
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha
287 ASH; 6001 Dodge Street
Omaha NE 68182
http://jeannereames.net/cv.html