Happy birthday ! Time machine?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

nick
Somatophylax

Happy birthday ! Time machine?

Post by nick »

Hello Companions -It is (presumably) Alexander's birthday today (July 20th 356 BC)... or anyway, somewhere in between the 19th and 22nd of July... So happy birthday!To celebrate this occasion, I have this stupid idea. Already had it for many years - but maybe it is good fun now.Suppose that a real "time machine" existed and you could spend, say, four weeks of holidays in Alexander's time. But only four weeks. So you would have to make a choice which specific 'occasion' you want to attend during those four weeks. Where would you go?For me, I would like to beamed back to the summer of 326 BC, the Indian campaign, and find out what really happened that made Alexander turn back. My most probable choice would be to be there during the Hydaspes battle and find out what really happened with Poros.Your choice? Just for fun anyway.Regards -
Nick
Stavros

Re: Happy birthday ! Time machine?

Post by Stavros »

I would say Alexander's campaign against Darius and being there to witness the strategic capability of ATG's army in conquering the Persian ruler and his army.
John

Post by John »

Nick,Time travel isn't really that impossible.The future: Let's say you want to time travel 1,000 years into the future. This is what you do: Have your body completely frozen; then, in 1,000 years have somebody unfreeze it. There you go. You're 1,000 years into the future.The past: Time travelling into the past is more difficult. You would have to freeze part of your environment, and then come back to it. This was kind of done in the movie, "The Man Who Would be King," where Sean Connery travels to Afghanistan, and finds a cave with Alexander's stuff in it, and is sort of re-incarnated. Bizarre movie!
John
nick

Post by nick »

John wrote:"Nick,
Time travel isn't really that impossible."John, I suppose we humans are time travellers all of our lives. I was born in the sixties - I travelled forty years already!Back to the question: when I could beam you down to Alexander's time, John, which four weeks would you chose?Regards -
Nick
chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by chris »

A good question - I like the idea of a time machine. I think the period covering two weeks prior to and two weeks after his death. What really happened? The impact on his immediate circle and the army, the last moments and the final words, and then, the immediate aftermath.
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Stavros, can you be more specific? You only have four weeks - Alexander's campaign against Darius lasted four years... So, what would it be? Issus, Gaugamela... Any other event?Nick
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Chris -That is a great answer. Yes, it must be absolutely fascinating to be there in Babylon - hot summer months ! - and check if the corpse really was not decaying? Thanks for the input.Nick
chris

Post by chris »

HiLet's be really silly. Alexander has a time machine. Where would he choose to go? A step further - he could influence the event, what would he do?
John

Post by John »

Someone once asked Aristotle, "What is time?" Aristotle responded, "The measurement of motion." And I guess everything is relative.OK I'll answer your question...I would like to go to Athens, after the victory at Chaironea, and see if Alexander met in person with the 98 year old Isocrates. What was it like? Was it Luke Skywalker meets Yoda?
John
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Thanks, John. That is a wonderful reply. And something I had never expected.Regards -
Nick
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Hi Chris -I think this deserves a "new message" on its own. Nice idea. I can not help thinking Alexander would go to World War II and see to it that it would remain a 'proper' war, without all the atrocities committed against ordinary civilians. Maybe I am an idealist, but I do not think Alexander would like our modern concept of war at all.Regards -
Nick
chris

Post by chris »

HiYes, I agree. In the context of his time I don't think he was the butcher that some would have us believe. He was a noble warrior. Would he search for Homer? I think that's a side of his nature that is often forgotten.
susa

Post by susa »

Four weeks? Well, it would sufice me a couple of seconds to lean close to him and say 'Lord, beware the ides of March - beware Brutus, Casca and Cassius' or something like that.
I wonder if he'd believe me... Caesar didn't, anyway....:(
:(
:(susa
nick
Somatophylax

Post by nick »

Hi Susa -Great fun. Please, at which specific time (year, month, day?) would you like to spend your four seconds 'close to him'...Regards -
Nick
John

Post by John »

Maybe she means Babylon, 323 BCE, before his assassination, Beware the conspiratorsJohn