alexander artefacts

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

alexander artefacts

Post by chris »

I believe the "inner room" at the Siwa oracle survives, a room in existence that we know Alexander visited.What, if any, of Alexanders'artefacts or of his immediate circle survive, and where are they kept?
Tre

Re: alexander artefacts

Post by Tre »

Many people (not everyone mind you) consider the grave goods in Tomb II at Vergina to be Alexander's (the tomb being that of Arrhidaeus and his wife), including the armor, greaves and helmet. But don't expect the Greek government to ever assert this - they would rather not be embarassed and have to take back that Philip was buried in Tomb II.And of course there are the various coins of Alexander and his successors. The land bridge to Tyre, etc. Nick and Marcus can probably give a much more extensive list.
Susan

Post by Susan »

There is also the open-air classroom at Mieza and Cyrus' tomb at Pasargadae.I believe that there is a silver bowl in the Athens museum that was donated to Athena's temple at the Parthenon by Roxane although this was after Alexander's death.Susan
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Crikey, Tre, I'm not sure that I can! I always defer to *you* on the artefacts question!I have to admit that I get more and more confused about who is supposed to be buried in the various Vergina tombs - but I think you're right that the Greek government is unlikely to change their current view.Actually, I'd forgotten about Tyre, but you are right - the whole layout of the modern city has Alexander to thank!There are, of course, a few surviving inscriptions of Alexander's proclamations to various cities. Of course, I can't remember any specific examples. Other than coins, however, I'm not sure there are any Alexander-specific artefacts remaining, are there? There must be a few walls at places like Khodjend that survive from their original foundation?All the bestMarcus
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

In my heart, I believe that some of the grave offerings (mostly silver) found in the "tomb of the macedonian Prince" - believed to be that of Alexander IV-- to have possibly been things that once belonged to his father, the Great Alex. In fact I asked one of the archaeologists on site about this and he agreed saying that not all grave offerings were possessions of the dead person. Anyway, that's my point of view. And I am still a firm believer (after having observed that skeleton several times) that it truly is Philip's. I'd like to pay another visit to the tombs. They are quite astounding! As for other artifacts, the golden funeral carriage has vanished from the face of the earth - maybe stolen by grave robbers who knows? I wonder what they might find beneath the sea in Alexandrea now they've discovered Cleopatra's palace and other things. I've been to the museums in Athens and Thessaloniki many times and don't recall ever seeing a silver dish dedicated by Roxana. Ruthaki
Susan

Roxane's silver dish

Post by Susan »

I read about the silver dish in a book written either by Peter Green or by Peter Bamm, I believe - but it was probably about 30 years ago. Peter Bamm was a German philosopher and historical writer, who died in 1975. I don't think he liked Alexander much. I've never heard of the silver dish since.Susan