The Lost Tomb of Alexander the Great

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Taphoi

The Lost Tomb of Alexander the Great

Post by Taphoi »

I received my personal copies of my new book, The Lost Tomb of Alexander the Great, on Friday. This means the book should soon be distributed to any Pothos members who have ordered it and been waiting patiently. The book has been published by Periplus Publishing of London (under their imprint "Richmond Editions") simultaneously in English and French language versions. It has much more information on my theory that the corpse said to be of St Mark in Venice might possibly be that of Alexander and on many other things, such as the likely cause of Alexander's death and postulated locations for his various tombs in Egypt. Several of these matters, though not all, have been discussed this year in the Pothos Forum, following my magazine articles in History Today and Minerva. The book is copiously illustrated with antique maps and engravings of Alexandria and Saqqara, diagrams and other illustrations, most in full colour (there are about 80 altogether). The sources of evidence are detailed in footnotes and there is a full bibliography. I think you will agree that this First Edition is very lavish! Unfortunately, formal distribution is currently limited to the UK and Europe. However, all Pothos members (including US members) should be able to order the book from one of the following: (1) http://www.amazon.co.uk/ (Amazon currently states 4 to 6 weeks delivery, but I am told by the publisher that this should come down to a few days when Amazon's distributor receives the copies it has ordered) (2) direct from the publisher's website at http://secure.periplus.co.uk/books/new/site/index6.php (3) Oxbow Books at http://www.oxbowbooks.com/ (Oxbow has a US distributor called David Brown Book Co and my book is in their catalogue, so this may be a way for US members to order the book without paying transatlantic shipping). The French edition is called "Alexandre le Grand, Le Tombeau Perdu" and can be obtained from Amazon France or from Periplus. I would also like to say that I will be happy to try to answer any reasonable questions from Pothos members relating to my book. Very best wishes, Andrew
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Re: The Lost Tomb of Alexander the Great

Post by jona »

Congratulations, Andrew!Jona
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Good for you, Andrew. I'll look forward to having a read. The theory of the body in the Vatican is intriguing. I once had a dream that Alexander's body was in the Vatican...that was several years ago. So I find it fascinating that someone has actually written a book exploring this theory.
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

Congratulations !
I look forward to reading my copy.Susan
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

Yes indeed!, congratulations Andrew. Hope you won't mind some friendly debate and discussion once given the opportunity to read your book! :)in any case well done!cheers!
rollsrite
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rollsrite »

good for you andrew! the lost tomb of alexander, well i just tried to go on line and try to get it, as i live in the usa it seems like it might be a problem. i got error, error.. but i'll keep trying. very happy about your success, looking forward to having this book in my library and i will be relentless. congrads tina
Taphoi

Post by Taphoi »

Hi Tina! Thanks for your interest.
If you go to http://www.oxbowbooks.com/ and click on the "North America" option, then use their Quick Search facility with the search string "tomb alexander", my book should come up at the bottom of a short list. If then you click on the title of my book, it should tell you that the book is not yet available, but that you can place an advance order by clicking on "add to cart". For everyone, "tomb alexander" will probably be a good search string to find the book quickly.
Many thanks to everyone else for the supportive comments. I shall be happy to participate in friendly debate on Pothos, when you have received your copies. Best wishes, Andrew