Top Ten Book List

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Thalestris

Top Ten Book List

Post by Thalestris »

Salve and Yiasou to all,I noticed Hammond's "The Genius of ATG", Fuller's "The Generalship of ATG" and Wilken's "ATG" are not included in the Top Ten. Fuller's text gives an exhaustive view in Alexander's statesmanhip and generalship that is integral to research. Hammond's text is psychological, and Wilken's text is a combination of both. Why are these three not included? They complement Heckel's "Marshals..." suitably. Also, for those who would like a shortened, in-your-face reading, Heckel's "The Wars of ATG" publisehd by Osprey Publishing is exemplary! It is concise and detailed effectiently; the maps and pics are also excellent. Additionally, if one would like to *see* the military uniforms and equipment, along with the history and organisation of ATG's army, Osprey also publishes a series, titled "Men-At-Arms", specifically "The Army of Alexander the Great". It is visually spectacular, except for Plate A1, which shows Alexander uniformed as a senior officer of the Companions from the Issus mosaic: it is a bit inaccurate, and he looks like an aging rock star with pork-chop sideburns. Nothing against these side-burns*giggle*Vale et/kai Xairete!Amazon Queen
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Top Ten Book List

Post by marcus »

Hi Thalestris,If I recall correctly, the top 10 list is based on the votes that forum attendees give the books. (I get a bit confused over which list is which). So the reason these books aren't in the top 10 is because nobody has voted for them.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
nick
Somatophylax

How it started and why

Post by nick »

The top-10 book list started with a question on the Forum: which books do we like most. The whole idea was to create a quick list of well-known books with direct links to Amazon, to get some very small cash flowing towards pothos.org to keep the site running.The first list was created out of comments from our Forum readers - but that was more than a year ago. Since then I have included 15 books in a free voting page. I would gladly swop those titles that are there for anything else. I try to re-arrange the list according to votings every few weeks. It seems to me that in the last six months everything has settled down.If we want to include NEW books, the best thing is to restart the voting from scratch.Regards -
Nick
h1bs

Re: How it started and why

Post by h1bs »

I wasnt on the site then so didnt voteGeneral JFC Fuller is an interesting characterHe was a war hero in WW1 and was heavily
involved with Oswald Mosely fascists
in the 30's , his writings on tank war
were used to affect by allied forces
during WW2..Its likely Fuller will be rolling in his
grave at the state of Britain today.
nick
Somatophylax

Re: added Wilcken

Post by nick »

Hi Amazon Queen -I added Wilcken to the voting list. Hammond and Fuller were already there - and Wilcken has now one single vote. But you can correct that yourself (as there is no voting limit).Best regards -
Nick