Re: Where was....

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Thalestris

Post by Thalestris »

Greetings companions,I need great help locating Alexander at 2 given times and dates:(1)*Where* exactly was Alexander in the twelth year of his reign (age 31)in the Makedonian month of Dios, the 2nd month of the ancient New Year (our October)?(2)*Where* was he in the thirteenth year of his rule (age 32) in the Makedonian month of Hyperberetaios, the 1st month of the New Year (our September)?I know I'm asking a request that requires a lot of digging, but I really need the help. It sounds like a trivia question, doesn't it?Thanks!
Amazon Queen
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Dios Alexander XII

Post by jona »

A nice puzzle, but I am afraid that the answer is not clear-cut; I am afraid that the wording of the questions is not entirely without ambiguity."*Where* exactly was Alexander in the twelth year of his reign (age 31)in the Makedonian month of Dios, the 2nd month of the ancient New Year (our October)?"Dios is the *first* month of the Macedonian year (see Bickerman, Chronology of the ancient world, figure 2). Under the ASSUMPTION that the European calendars were accurate (i.e., corresponded to the lunar phases; intercalation of months according to the Metonic cycle), 1 Dios of Alexander XII is 1 October 325. If you meant *second* month (i.e., Apellaios), the first day of the month corresponds to 31 October.In October, he would have been in the eastern part of the Gedrosian desert, let's say that he was in the Pasni area. In November, he was marching between Gwadar and Bampur.The assumption quoted above is just an assumption. We don't know whether the Macedonians used the Metonic cycle, and it is a worrying thought that Alexander could add two days to a month during the siege of Tyre (mentioned by Plutarch), which were still uncorrected when he died (Royal Diary 28 Daisios, Aristobulus 30 Dausios).Jona
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Hyperberetaios Alexander XIII

Post by jona »

"*Where* was he in the thirteenth year of his rule (age 32) in the Makedonian month of Hyperberetaios, the 1st month of the New Year (our September)?"Complications: according to Bickerman, Hyperberetaios is the twelfth month.When you mean Hyperberetaios in Alexander XIII: 22 August - 20 September 324, i.e., he was probably at the Nesaean plain, somewhere between Opis and Ecbatana, where he spent four weeks (Diodorus).When you mean Month I in Alexander XIII: 21 September - 19 October 324, he was certainly in Ecbatana (Royal Diaries frg.1: on 5 Dios, he took part in a drinking party in the house of Eumaeus).I hope this helps. I did my best, but these questions are never easy.Jona
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

Hi ThalestrisI can't help you, I'm afraid, but it's great so see you on Pothos again. Judging by your questions, I think that you must be writing a book or poem ? RegardsSusan
Thalestris

Post by Thalestris »

Hi Susan,My questions were a bit suggestive of what is an accurate presumption on your part:-) Book, yes, I will confess, finally (developing for the past 4 years). The manuscript is completed and in search of an agent and lawyer, and presently on its way to the copyright room:-)Hi Jona,Thank you *very* much! You helped me greatly. The finishing touches of logistics:-)Cheers!Amazon Queen