The release of Alexander on DVD (Region 1)

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

birdlover
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

The release of Alexander on DVD (Region 1)

Post by birdlover »

For those of you who are interested, Warner Brothers has finally announced the release of Alexander on DVD (Region 1)for August 2nd. There will be 3 versions:

1. The Theatrical version in Widescreen

2. The Final Cut Version in Standard

3. The Final Cut in Widescreen

There doesn't look to be a ton of extras and the extras are only available on the Theatrical version of the DVD and not the Final Cut versions. You can pre-order from the WB site.
Here is the link with the information:
http://store.warnervideo.com/whv.produc ... Search.y=4

Dara
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: The release of Alexander on DVD (Region 1)

Post by amyntoros »

Dara, have they announced any details of what is in the "final cut"? Is this the abridged version that we heard about? If so, have you heard anything about an extended version?All the best,Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Birdlover, nice but too many unanswered questions here.Allow my echo, is the final cut what we already seen and there will be no director's cut, the original footage that was cut to keep the movie under a few hrs.? It appears to me the Alexander: Theatrical (widescreen) version speaks for itself with the audio commentary and documentaries. What is not clear is who in tarderus *greased* the "Wild, Glorious..Entertaining" --Ebert & Roepert (Roeper) "Prepare to be awestruck!" --Ken Tucker, NEW YORK MAGAZINE scenario when these three clowns originally gave this film a thumbs down. Something stinks here, reminds me of a leaky septic system. PURegards,Andrew
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Linda Ann, Couldn't wait to tell you that I finally found a copy of the National Geographic article on Alexander, January, 1968. Cost me ten cents as it is a used copy but was on the top shelf at the local library gift shop. Methinks that Athena (chief goddess of Wisdom) must have led me to it.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thanks, Dara, for the official news. Last I heard it was July 5, so I appreciate the update.
birdlover

Post by birdlover »

Hey Andrew, don't shoot me I am only the messenger, here. This is all the information I have from the official site. As far as I know the Final Cut is considered the Directors Cut of the film. That is the one that Stone chose to re-edit. I think he did it this way to counter all of the criticism leveled at the film. The other version is the theatrical one which we all saw.As far a real Director's Cut with all the bells and whistles, I think that will come at some point, but I remember Stone saying in 5-10 years or so.Dara
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

By no means I meant to imply the stench came from you! Ebert & Roepert are having a little whop-de-la critic rendezvous in the very near future, anyone is invited for the right amount of cash. I heard WB is one of the sponsors of this gala event.No biggie, thanks for the info!Take care, Andrew
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Well, Andrew, a crtic-whopping could be really entertaining so I hate to get them off the hook, but I'm afraid they're not responsible. The reason is an advertising trick worth of P.T.Barnum - one I found out about when I spent a few awful years in advertising. Anything written in a review is legitimately allowed to be reprinted in an advertisement or promotion, but it doesn't have to be kept in context. The quote from Richard Roeper, used in a New York Times ad, was originally printed as "WildGǪGloriousGǪEntertaining" What he really said in his review was: "It's just a wild, glorious, wacky mess that I found entertaining.Gǥ They can do this with any review. Kurt Loder has an absolutely awful review on MTV's website: http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles ... tmlHowever, the first sentence reads, "There are many worthwhile things that might be done with $150 million; making a movie like this isn't one of them." In their advertisements, Warner Brothers *could* take out one word and print "Worthwhile. Kurt Loeder." :-)Amyntoros
Amyntoros

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hi Jan. Hmmm, I don't think Athena played much of a part in this lucky find. Much more likely to have been the goddess Tyche, or Fortune. :-)Amyntoros
Amyntoros

neneh

Post by neneh »

Here in Sweden the Alexander DVD was released on april 6th. It's a two disc edition, disc one being the version of the film that we all saw at the cinemas, and disc two being a bonus material type thing with interviews and such. No directors cut available here yet, but I'd be very interested to know what that would look like so anyone with any information, please keep us updated.All the best,Neneh.