primary sources?

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

confused mom

primary sources?

Post by confused mom »

My daughter wants to do a National History Day paper on the siege of tyre but her teacher wants 5 primary sources...since she's 13 and doesn't speak ancient greek or live in Istambul, can she fulfill this requirement? She's stuck with "whaling" as a topic if we can't get past this problem and she LOVES Alexander the Great. Any help from the experts would be appreciated
davej
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: primary sources?

Post by davej »

5 sources is a bit much for a 13 year old. I can only think of 4 readily available source. Arrian, Curtius, Plutarch and Diodorus. The fifth one is going to tough to crack. Good luck, it is better that the sources are relevent rather then numerous. Best source on Source is Karl Soundly (on this page). Ask Karl.
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

You could use Justin - that's available online but only in Latin. Susan
maciek
Hetairos (companion)

Post by maciek »

Well Justin is not so bad and it's shortest from all those sources. I have it even in polish so it have to be quite aviable in english.Regards
Maciek
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

Yes, I meant that the only online version that I know of Justin, is in Latin.
There are coursenotes on the siege of Tyre, using the available sources, athttp://luna.cas.usf.edu/~murray/classes/aa/tyre-siege.pdfSusan
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Susan,About a week ago I managed to find an English translation of Justin online. Problem is I don't have the URL any more. But it is there! (which is handy, because it's a lot cheaper than the Yardley translation in book format).All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Excellent, that goes straight into my favourites.As far as I know the only extant sources are Diodoros, Curtius, Arrian, Plutarch and Justin HOWEVER and it is a big however none of these is primary, all except Justin, who is tertiary, are secondary sources! Five primary sources would be Kallisthenes, Kleitarchos, Aristoboulos, Ptolemy and Onesikritos there are many more lost sources which could annoy the teacher some are listed in Plut Alx 46 but it is as well to be wary as we cannot know they treated the siege of Tyre nor how primary their work was.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

What we need next is a translation of the Metz epitome ( and the Heidelberg epitome). As far as I know they're not online yet.There's a good overview of sources at at:
http://www.anchist.mq.edu.au/222/AuthorFrames.htm
I've got a version of Alexander's itinerary ( similar to Arrian but much abridged) but it's no longer online. It's an interesting bridge between Arrian & the Alexander Romance.Susan