Totally not Alexander but ...

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Totally not Alexander but ...

Post by marcus »

I think this should sit in the main Forum for a few days at least, before we move it off topic.

Because of the new "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" series which has already aired in the US, and starts on UK TV this week, there's quite a lot on Spartacus at the moment.

Check out the stuff on RogueClassicism - especially scroll down to the Pepsi Commercial - it's great!

Oh, and by the way, "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" isn't actually quite as bad as I feared it would be ... but that's not to say that it's quite up there with "Rome". Despite being in the UK I've used some of my contacts and have already watched most of series 1.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Totally not Alexander but ...

Post by athenas owl »

I tried to watch Spartacus...it just doesn't grip me I suppose. I loved Rome. I wish they had not so hurriedly canceled it (and it is my understanding that the network realised this too late).

I do like that period pieces are getting some traction, though. But in watching The Tudors...I am left with this, "When will Henry get fat?"... :D The answer? Apparently never. But the costumes and sets are lush.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

athenas owl wrote:But in watching The Tudors...I am left with this, "When will Henry get fat?"... :D The answer? Apparently never. But the costumes and sets are lush.
I never managed to get into The Tudors - wasn't able to watch all the episodes, so gave up. I can't remember when it was that Henry did begin to put on weight - it was quite late, though. I don't know where they got up to in the TV series, wife-wise, so I can't really say whether they've kept him slim beyond his years ...

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

marcus wrote:
athenas owl wrote:But in watching The Tudors...I am left with this, "When will Henry get fat?"... :D The answer? Apparently never. But the costumes and sets are lush.
I never managed to get into The Tudors - wasn't able to watch all the episodes, so gave up. I can't remember when it was that Henry did begin to put on weight - it was quite late, though. I don't know where they got up to in the TV series, wife-wise, so I can't really say whether they've kept him slim beyond his years ...

ATB
Oh it plays fast and loose with history....I didn't watch much of it at first..but the Katherine Howard bits got my attention, actually James Frain's Cromwell is the first thing that really compelled me. Very well done. There's some great actors in the series. "Henry" has just married Katherine Parr, and is still svelte. He was in reality 300 pounds or so by this time if memory serves. They do have Rhys Meyers sort of hobbling around on a cane, but that the only nod to the later Henry. I watch it as fiction, otherwise I'd go nuts. It's a soap opera in gorgeous gowns.
Rubén Alejandro

Post by Rubén Alejandro »

oh ! but this is a forum on Alexander the Great ! hehehe.. . I personally
admired top 1 Spartacus in the movie with Kirk Douglas when being
a little child . So wonderful that as other great ones are mentioned
here I first saw as another one besides Alexander , Spartacus , huge !
Another one that amazed me but so much when seeing the movie
still being a child was Genghis Khan , the way he left himself on
his throne all alone in the field in the end with his hair long to the wind ,
so precious , so deep ,

Alejandro .

so nice reading you all , should I say , what the heck if we have
different points of view , it´s all such as blessed seeking anyhow
anyways ,
regards .
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

'Rome' was very enjoyable. I thought it finished too soon as well. Although, I don't know if the reign of Augustus would have been as exciting as the Ceasar-Antony-Cleopatra saga. Initially, for me, the 'Spartacus' show was merely a cheap replacement for Rome when it ended. 'Spartacus' the movie is far more intellectually stimulating, emotionally engaging and socially conscious compared to the TV show. The movie thoroughly deserves it's all-time classic status. 'Spartacus' the TV series on the other hand... Who would've thought that one TV show can fit so much violence, nudity and sex into each episode? So, needless to say, I am totally hooked on the show! :D Can't wait for the next season (which will follow the prequel). That's right I said it! :P
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Semiramis wrote:'Who would've thought that one TV show can fit so much violence, nudity and sex into each episode? So, needless to say, I am totally hooked on the show! :D Can't wait for the next season (which will follow the prequel).
My dear, I must express my concern. You're beginning to resemble your forum moniker.

I must watch this show... only to see what hold it has upon you realise. Immediately, of course, after having finished trolling through Bettany Hughes' website.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Semiramis wrote: 'Spartacus' the TV series on the other hand... Who would've thought that one TV show can fit so much violence, nudity and sex into each episode? So, needless to say, I am totally hooked on the show! :D Can't wait for the next season (which will follow the prequel). That's right I said it! :P

First time I watched the show my son walked in and said "Mom, you know you can't watch this type of show", his reasoning being that I spend half the time complaining to the TV set about what's wrong with the program. Thing is ... this not ancient Greece, so I don't care that much, but I roared with laughter at the claim of historical accuracy in the opening credits. I did end up getting totally absorbed though. It was kinda fun wondering how many times Lucy Lawless was going to take her clothes off. And there were some nice male bodies on view all the time. :lol: I do admit to one jaw drop though - when a half-naked woman (amongst many) is shown merrily humping away in the seats while the fight is going on below. It may have happened on occasion - I don't know enough about the period to say otherwise - but if you watch this show long enough you may come to believe that the reason the Roman Empire fell had to have been sexual proclivity!

Fun program ...
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Was Henry really 300 pounds when he married Catherine Parr? Wheeewwwww! Are you kidding me? Honestly and truly, set me straight on that one....I am all adither about Nonsuch Palace right now...you hit me right where it hurts! Yikes! Jan :|
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

OK folks, I'm moving this to off-topic now.

Good, fun little discussion, though!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Semiramis wrote:'Rome' was very enjoyable. I thought it finished too soon as well. Although, I don't know if the reign of Augustus would have been as exciting as the Ceasar-Antony-Cleopatra saga.
I'm sure that the scandalous Julia could have supplied enough sex for the series. :D
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Paralus wrote:My dear, I must express my concern. You're beginning to resemble your forum moniker.

I must watch this show... only to see what hold it has upon you realise. Immediately, of course, after having finished trolling through Bettany Hughes' website.
Paralus,

You're letting my secrets out. :D Would you like me to post you the first season? Not sure if it's available across the ditch yet. Bettany's site is lovely. Most of the documentaries look very interesting. One shortcoming though - unlike most of my celebrity crushes her's does not have a gallery section. :P
amyntoros wrote:And there were some nice male bodies on view all the time. :lol:
Amyntoros,

I feel I've been spoilt. How does one go back to watching clothed men on screen now? :)
athena's owl wrote:I'm sure that the scandalous Julia could have supplied enough sex for the series. :D
Athena's Owl,

Perhaps. But politically - who wants relative peace and stability? On a TV show I mean. :)
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Spartacus rocks! I like the "300" cinematography that has been put into it. It isn't that accurate historical of course, but at some aspects they are portraying the Roman Empire nicely, for example all the politics and conspiracies, the swearing, and the public nudity, e.t.c. and fortunately they are not showing orgies and stuff like that, and there is no need to. The last episode was too bloody though. I am eager for the prequel and season 2, and i hope the protagonist get's better.

"We shall make Rome treble!!! roaaaaaarrrr! :D
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Efstathios wrote:Spartacus rocks! I like the "300" cinematography that has been put into it. It isn't that accurate historical of course, but at some aspects they are portraying the Roman Empire nicely, for example all the politics and conspiracies, the swearing, and the public nudity, e.t.c. and fortunately they are not showing orgies and stuff like that, and there is no need to. The last episode was too bloody though. I am eager for the prequel and season 2, and i hope the protagonist get's better.

"We shall make Rome treble!!! roaaaaaarrrr! :D
I haven't seen the last three episodes yet - been too busy. Sounds as if they'll be good, though!

Indeed, some of the aspects are good, historically - e.g. the fact that they are supposed to be campaigning against Mithridates of Pontus in the first episode, and the geographical positioning of the Getae, etc. So, while it isn't the "historical" Spartacus (inasmuch as it has had to invent most of the story because we actually know so little about the historical character), the historical context is actually pretty good.

After all, when we know so little about the actual historical characters who are portrayed in the series, who are we to complain about "historical accuracy"?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK